Thursday, November 17, 2011

“Dating” for Girlfriends Part 2 of 4


Continuing…

On the other hand, hunting for girlfriends should be easier than hunting men, because:

  1. Unlike with a partner, you can have more than just one friend. In fact, the more the better! (Of course, though you cannot “cheat” on your friend, you could potentially hurt them through neglect.)
  2. There’s no need to overthink who’s being the “man” in the relationship. In this case, neither is!
  3. Have you ever heard people say they found someone online, thought they had a lot in common, then met in person and realized there’s neither chemistry nor physical attraction? Well, I’m looking for girls to laugh with, not to screw with. So that oughta makes it easier, right? There’s no danger of stepping into the “friend-zone” because that’s all I want anyways.

So how do you approach other women in pursuit of friendship, without looking like you’re after something more than just platonic?

In my personal experience, I’ve tried:

  1. Joining new interest groups. Problem is, my interests tend to attract more men than women. While they’ve got speed dating at the local comic con now, girlfriend hook-ups remains rare. And the local astronomy chat room? Forget it, the male to female ratio is 8:1.
  2. Joining fitness classes. But the women at pilates tend to be the super mom, do-the-exercise-then-run type. The women at yoga tend to be quite a bit older and I don’t have any grandchildren stories to share yet. Hack, I don’t even have any kids stories to share yet.
  3. Borrowing my hubby’s female friends, and while the results had been positive, it might be a bit hard to share penis jokes with them. Cutting way too close there.

I thought to myself, wouldn’t it be great if there’s a dating site for girlfriends?

(continued in my next post...)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is sharing penis jokes an absolute requirement?

Ms. Lulu said...

No, it's nice to have but not a deal breaker whatsoever!

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting!